12 August 2005

Cream Shop Friday: Google Earth



Cream Shop Friday is a feature on this blog detailing the biggest distraction of the week.

I saw a news story yesterday morning about Google Earth being a potential threat to our troops. Being a map and weather geek, I was compelled to investigate this national security menace. For those who live under rocks, Google Earth is a program that allows you to navigate the literal mapping of the earth. It provides specific longitudes and latitudes of each area along with the locations of the nearest Burger Kings. To put it plainly, it's friggin awesome. I flew over Fenway Park and was able to zoom in on the baseball diamond in real-time. Then I went to Nantucket. I continued south and flew around Manhattan for awhile before jetting across the pond to Killarney, Positano and Riyadh. When I looked up at the clock, I realized I'd spent two hours in the Cream Shop instead of working on an encroaching deadline.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is why Paulie has paper bags for shoes.